An odyssey to the west

This blog will document the entire event of my trip to Canada and its preparation work. Be warned: occasional crapping and irrelevant details about my life will also be featured in this blog.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Gibbons Park

A distinct difference between Singapore and Canada is how their citizens spend their weekends. Whereas an average Singaporean will almost predictably head down to the many shopping malls (most notably at the notoriously crowded Orchard Road) dotting all across the country, the Canadians really prefer to bring their entire family to the parks for some outdoor activities such as BBQ or simply a game of baseball. I begin to wonder, what mystifying attraction does the shopping mall possess to hold us all in thrall? Surely a good weekend with the entire family at the Bontanical Garden wouldn't hurt? Alas, despite its romantic ambience and ideal site for gathering with friends or families, the Bontanical Garden remains woefully empty, save for some consicentious joggers or a few old folks taking a casual stroll. Spending Sunday at Gibbons Park was really a different experience for me, as I joined the rest of the international students in games and a picnic of sorts with our peer guides (usually senior students who volunteer to assist international students in their stay at UWO).





Perhaps pale in comparison with the Bontanical Garden in terms of the variety of flora and fauna, Gibbons Park has its own quiet charm.





The London river meanders through the entire park, with tall sagely trees and endless stretches of greenery, the park provides a comfortable retreat for the city dwellers during the weekend.



Notice the difference in this picture? Yes, both me and Jiahao are wearing shorts, despite the sun, the temperature is a freezing 10ÂșC and Jiahao has the jacket!




Soccer, frisbee and football, you name it, we played it. The weather was perfect, sunny, but cool. No amount of running can make us perspire!


My new found buddy from France, Jean, a French version of me! Cheeky, tongue in cheek humour and always flashing a wide grin, we enjoyed talking crap with each other all the time.


Jiahao's peer guide Allison Foran. Me and Allan were really dying with envy, while Jiahao netted himself a hot blond as his peer guide, we had to settle for a bloke from Hong Kong and a lass from China respectively.

The weekend was well spent, plenty of friends from more than a dozen countries were made in the short span of 2 hours, but more importantly, I finally did some sports since I arrived at Canada. Perhaps it was due to all the fun I'm having so far, I scarcely felt homesick at all. Slowly, I am beginning to believe that this exchange experience might just be the best thing that has happened to me so far in my entire academic life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home