An odyssey to the west

This blog will document the entire event of my trip to Canada and its preparation work. Be warned: occasional crapping and irrelevant details about my life will also be featured in this blog.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Born Identity

A couple of friends suggested to me that I should consider getting myself an english name before my trip to Canada. By english name, they were referring to monikers such as Tom, Dick, Harry, Jerry etc. And why the heck would I wanna get myself an english name, I asked. They reasoned that the caucasians in America would have a hard time grappling with chinese names. Hence, to spare these poor 'ang mohs' from some tongue twisting prounciation, it would be best to carry with me (even if temporary) an enlish name. Jiahao's face immediately lit up upon the idea. In his over zealous mood, he quipped "How about we slang and americanise the way we speak?". To which I curtly replied, "How about NO?!". Fellow readers who have heard how Jiahao slang, will have to admit that it is a lesser pain to listen to songs belted out by Singapore Idol rejects.

Back to the question, why should I get myself an english name? Why should I cut the caucasians some slack? Afteall, I can prounounce names like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Daniela Hantuchova and Ana Ivanovic without a glitch, I don't see how a name, Weizhong with only TWO syllables could be a stumbling block for anyone. Schwarzenegger, quite a mouthful isn't it? Just how many times were Jackie Chan and Jet Li referred to as Chen Long or Li Lianjie respectively by medias of the westen world? Scarcely. Even Zhang Ziyi became Ziyi Zhang. Alas, there seem to be a gross misrepresentation of the chinese populace here.

I secretly wonder what would happen if admiral Zheng Ho sailed his large armada to the shores of America and Genghis Khan did not rein his golden horde to a halt at the gates of Europe. Perhaps half the world will be speaking chinese by now and I will not have to toy with the idea of getting myself an english name to convenient anyone.

Before I end this entry, do check this video clip out. Hilarious and echoes my thoughts.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger hon said…

    you can introduce yourself as "fum" like in the good ol' army days! haha!

     
  • At 2:18 AM, Blogger zhenshen said…

    give urself an english name lah. haha. like that clip, u r in a foreign country. i suggest vanness. haha.

     
  • At 3:26 AM, Blogger Weizhong said…

    The idea of an english name just doesn't sit well with me la. I prefer weizhong please, no fum and no more nonsense, ahahahha.

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger keetzai said…

    Get an english name. You dun want ur ang moh friends to say "Huhz" or find urself repeating ur name 5 times to the same person in front of everyone

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Weizhong said…

    Not again... Keet! you're the last person on earth I would expect to make that suggestion. Anyway, I think we could be seriously underestimating the linguistic capabilities of the ang mohs la. Some more they have at least attained a tertiary education, I really cannot fathom how my name can be an insurmountable obstacle for them.

    Lastly, as for whether I will get an english name? Not unless hell freezes over. HAR HAR!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home